Thursday, December 9, 2010

Love Waits, and Lets Go

I have just learned that our children's grandmother died shortly after we took them from Uganda.  I am speechless thinking of how powerful love is.  When I met this woman, I could not believe she was still alive.

She lay in a dark, tiny room in a house the size of my master bathroom.  She lay on a thin mattress on the floor surrounded by, well, nothing.  The children had been sleeping at her side on the hard ground.  As best I can tell and from all reports, she had not been off that mat in almost a year.  The widow of her grandson had cared for her for months.  There was no food in the house.


I knelt at her side and she took my hand and began a long interview which she had clearly planned.  While Agnes translated, she asked me about my family, my lineage, "did I favor my father or my mother"?  When all her questions were answered, she looked peaceful and satisfied.  I asked her for her blessing about the adoption, and she said that we have it.  I asked her to pray that we would have favor with the Ugandan courts, as we had not yet seen the judge.  She answered "Do not fear.  God has already spoken to me that the children are yours."

Then, we all gathered around her and prayed for her.  We prayed that she would have no pain, that she would have peace and be with the Lord.


About two weeks later, the day we were leaving Uganda, we went again to see her.  She was serene and did not seem emotional about the departure of the grandchildren.  In fact, she just seemed tired.  The children kissed her and we hurried to the car that was taking us to the airport.

Today I have learned that shortly after we left, she died. 

How powerful is a love that can hold off death?  Surely she should have died months ago.  I always felt she was waiting for me to come, and now I know that she was.  The transfer had been made, the exchange complete.  Her love was so powerful that she could stave off death until she knew the children were safely in the arms of another.

Surely only God can give us a love this great.  I pray she is seated at the throne of love.  I pray I can live up to a love that mighty.

8 comments:

jade said...

"How powerful is a love that can hold off death? Surely she should have died months ago. I always felt she was waiting for me to come, and now I know that she was."
Wow Jodi! This is powerful! Got your email and I will be praying as you tell your children! Love you so much!

Carolyn T said...

Goodness....Love you all and amazed as always by the power of LOVE..because HE IS LOVE. Praying for all of you and the kiddos.

Lois Cox said...

My dear Jodi what a burden and a joy at the same time knowing that God held off her going home so nothing else could prevent you from taking the children to their know home. It is very difficult to have to tell them that their grandmother has gone. Today is the anniversary of my fathers passing 6yrs ago. I sense your loss as well. God will give you the words to say when it is time. Rejoice in this precious first Christmas with your beautiful blessings. Hug and Kisses and lots of prayer going your way.

carolyndtarr said...

Hey Jods.........this news is so sad, yet so moving. I know your kids will be fine when you find the strength and words to tell them. I know this because they will have their loving, compassionate Mum by their side.
I love you

Unknown said...

Dear Jodi,
Very sad news for the children and for us but their Grandmother is now part of that great cloud of witnesses cheering the children on. How amazing is God's provision for the chiidren as well. Heclosed one door but opened another. You are a special blessing. Love Pam

Unknown said...

Dear friend, you and your sweet family are indeed in my prayers. I feel deeply for the children's loss and for your compassionate heart towards them. I know that our faithful God will prove Himself to be a strong tower of strength.

Unknown said...

Hi Friend,

Sorry about the loss!! I just read my emails today and realized you sent one after I left NC,I know how hard it can be to break the sad news but they will understand.After seeing their grand suffering for a long time they will understand that she had to be with the Lord where they will meet at their old age too.

praying for you as usual! love you Jodi and proud of your spirit towards the poor,God's blessings throughout the New year.
Love,
Harriet

Beth in NC said...

That is so beautiful Jodi. What a testimony to God's plan in the placement of each child. Beautiful.

Love,
Beth